Becoming a Reader: Faith Club


The Faith Club: A Muslim, a Christian, a 
Jew -- Three Woman Search for Understanding (Walker Large Print Books) LOVED this book.  I couldn’t put it down.  Spark Notes version: Three New York moms, a Muslim, a Christian, and a Jew, decided to write a children’s book after 9/11 that would work for all faiths.  They soon realized how challenging it would be, and it turned into a weekly faith discussion that lasted for three years.  They’re all intelligent and thoughtful women, but things obviously got heated.  Imagine a Jew discussing the Jewish state of Israel with a Palestinian Muslim.  Imagine a Christian discussing the Crucifixion with a Jew.  Imagine a Muslim and a Christian discussing life after death.  They talked about stereotypes, they talked about their scriptures, they talked about what united them and what divided them.  It strengthened my faith in my own Church and taught me more about other religions.  They discovered that we all believe in faith, hope, and charity, and we should love each other, not just have tolerance (Or just tolerate) each other.  I recommend!  Also, who else is on goodreads?  I’m loving it and need your book recommendations!

1 comment:

  1. Julie, I am LOVING your new blog! It is so inspiring! I feel like I've been in the rut of just working and sleeping, so this has given me some fresh ideas to keep me going. It sounds like you are really becoming someone! (Not that you weren't before, but it's a good example for me to follow.) So thanks! I hope you and Landon are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...