Becoming Someone's Wife: Football

I don't like watching football...I've tried, but I just can't convince myself that it's fun (Playing/tackling though, is very fun).  It's SOOO long, and the teams are SOOO big, and I feel like most of the game is just them switching offense and defense and special teams.  I played soccer, and it makes sense, but football has all these rules like, "Roughing the (fill in the position here)." And I'm thinking, "Isn't ALL of football roughing?"  Well, I married a MAJOR college football fan, so we go to EVERY game from kickoff to the bitter end, no matter the weather.  And well, he loves it, and he loves that I come with him, and well, what's a girl to do?  Here are a few tips if you find yourself in the same predicament.  If you have any more suggestions, DO share!
  • Learn what a first down is.  It makes everything more enjoyable.
  • Say things like, "Do you think we have a shot at a bowl game this year?"  They'll go nuts.
  • Find things to be impressed by.  For me, I don't think a hard hit is that impressive.  I mean, they're huge, of course they're going to hit hard.  I'm impressed by a great throw or a jumping catch (Is that what you call it?), if they find a hole and make it through, but especially, if they're quick.  If you're fast, I'll give you a shout out.
  • Watch the crowd.  Football fans are VERY entertaining.  On Saturday, we had a bunch of old men sitting behind us, and I couldn't stop laughing.  Favorite quote, "This is the last game of the season.  NOW what are we supposed to do on Saturday?"
  • Watch the game on TV.  It is SO MUCH better: No weather problems, comfy chairs, ability to do other things while the game is on, lines showing how many yards down and how many to go, SO HELPFUL!
  • Go with couples where the wife cares as little as you do, so you can just chat during the game.
What tips do you have???

2 comments:

  1. I like the last tip... remember when we used to go together? That was the best!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...