Becoming a Cake Decorator: Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday to my sister, Janelle!  We made this cake in honor of the auspicious occasion.

-Pepperoni made of fondant
-Red frosting for pizza sauce
-Shredded white chocolate for cheese

I put a TON of food coloring in, but it turned out more pink than red.  Any idea why that happened?  We just pretended pink was her favorite color, and it was intentional.  Does anyone have any favorite cake decorating blogs/websites?  I'm always looking for new ideas.  Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Red is a really hard color to get right with food coloring. I think gel food coloring is supposed to give a truer red, but to get the really good stuff you'll have to go to a specialty store or look online. Here's a good post about it: http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2009/03/perfectly-red-icingworks-for-me.html.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's what i was going to mention is you need to us the gel food coloring, my sister uses the wilton type for all her cake decorating needs. you can get a kit for cake decorating and i believe in includes some gel food coloring from jo-anns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO CUTE!!! Pizza and cake are my favorite things, putting them together was the smartest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think the Wilton gel works well at all. I think you would have to use the whole jar to get it a true red. I found the best stuff at Cash N Carry. I don't know if they have that in Utah. It's like Smart N Final. It's like a restaurant supply grocery store. Anyways, it's in a large bottle and it's red dye. I have had the best luck with it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...