Becoming a Baker: Toffee Bars

I'm not much of a dessert person, but toffee bars are straight up delicious.  Not to mention, way easy to make!  We made some Sunday night, and it was mm-mmm, good!  Recipe below.

Cream together:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup margarine

Add:
1 large egg yolk
2 cups flour
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together.  Put in greased cookie sheet.  Press down.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  While hot, sprinkle 2/3 or 3/4 cup chocolate chips.  Spread to cover.  Sprinkle 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts, if ya want.  Cut at once in squares of desired size.

Also, bits of random:

Did you know you're not supposed to melt butter the whole way when baking?  I never did it when it said soften, but otherwise, I would melt away!  Apparently, that's a no-no.  Who knew?

And, when you make cookies, you should take them out and let them sit on the pan before they're completely done.  The pan is so hot it keeps cooking them!  No joke!  I couldn't believe it either!

What random cooking/baking tips do you have?

4 comments:

  1. Julie, I have to tell you that I LOVE baking and do so at LEAST once a week. :) My ward knows me by my chocolate chip cookies and my coworkers by my pumpkin chocolate chip bread.

    I think that learning your own oven is a big key, as well as your pans (I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm serious - you need to know how they work!) When I bake cookies at my mom's I cook them for just 8 minutes but in mine I have to do 9 and we only live 3 miles away!

    I also think it just takes patience to perfect a recipe. I've used the same chocolate chip cookie recipe hundreds of times and I assure you it's gotten better - you'll learn exactly which textures lead to the best outcome and exactly how things should look to be just right.

    I also love the finished look of baking. My husband asked me why I love baking so much more than cooking and I think it's because there's more of a big, finished product with baking than cooking (a cake with the perfect shape is so much more satisfying to see than a casserole, no matter how it turned out).

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect Sunday recipe-- I have all the ingredients and don't need to think about buying stuff Saturday night. Perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. do not ever bring these in to work. ever.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...